Wednesday, September 23, 2009

You Are Creating Your Intellectual Trail - and It Can Be Googled!

I rarely make a student's post required reading for the class. But Anthony Capp's (W6) post: "How to: Make Your Own Podcast" is an exception, not so much for the way in which he analyzed the podcasts he listened to (which was excellent in its own right), but because of what he wrote about the consequences of his work in this class, especially his blog: "... I saw another post related to "digital footprinting" which I learned is the result of someone googling your name and what matches are found. I never really thought about this as a potential resume type flag. But now that I am aware, I realize how important it is for me to be actively producing a trail that I can be proud of-- I want to be googled well. This is even more motivation for me to be active in my networks whether they are my residential community, school, work, or online affiliations (which can be any or all of the formentioned)!"

REMEMBER: You are creating your intellectual trail with the work you do in this class. Practically all of it can be googled. Make it an outstanding trail!

Note: I added the bold and red and corrected a typo (potential) in the quotation I used from Anthony's post.

3 comments:

  1. Very good post from Anthony. I picked up the McGraw Hill guide "ipods and itunes" at the OB library and it has been a GREAT help to me! An easy "how to" that references the same websites that Anthony mentioned.
    Note about Blogs: I consider them to be like internal memos. Nothing stays internally! Just ask ex-newscasters, ex-elected officials and the White House.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am posted three times on the top ten Google searches for my name. Not bad when Farah Fawcett is amongst famous Fawcett's.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, as a teacher that gets lots of hits on my class site because of Google, I usually don't worry too much about vanity searches. As you know I try to be as transparent as possible and live by Mark Twain's quote, "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything." I suppose that my quote would be, "If you are totally transparent online, you don't have to worry about the Google."

    In truth, your students need to be very aware of their online presence. Since they have no (or very little) educational work history administrators are much more likely to do a search on them. There are too many stories about students being in trouble for their Facebook pages to argue against it.

    ReplyDelete